The first photo, from about 1905, shows a view of the third floor’s East Gallery at the Worcester Art Museum. It appears as though the artwork represented was part of a special exhibition of portraiture, with several works by John Singer Sargent prominently displayed. This same view today finds the viewer at the entry to the Donnelly Gallery, facing Nam June Paik’s 1995 Rocket-inspired piece, “Robert Goddard.”
Then and Now: “Third Floor (East Gallery)- Worcester Art Museum, 1905 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins
Then and Now: “Third Floor (West Gallery)- Worcester Art Museum, 1910 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins
Then and Now: “European Galleries- Worcester Art Museum, 2008 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins
2014: Conservators Rita Albertson, Birgit Straele and Phil Klausmeyer point out elements of the restoration process in the 3rd Floor Conservation lab.
Recently, these 1744 pendant portraits of “Mr. and Mrs. William James” by William Hogarth were fully cleaned and restored. Visit them at the Worcester Art Museum. FREE admission until the end of August.
Then and Now: “Lower Third Floor Galleries- Worcester Art Museum, 1920 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins
Sketch of an Ancient Roman portrait of “The Emperor Caligula (Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus)” 37-40 A.D. Marble. Collection of the Worcester Art Museum. by Travis Simpkins
In the first photo, Jim Hodges’ 2004 mural, “Don’t Be Afraid”, consisted of those three words written by members of the United Nations in their native languages. Currently the Wall at WAM displays “These Days of Maiuma” by Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison.
Then and Now: “Renaissance Court (Wall at WAM)- Worcester Art Museum, 2004 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins
-In the early 20th Century, the Carnegie Steel Company was a major industrial force in the United States, a veritable Goliath. Carnegie’s only able competition was their Pittsburgh neighbor, the Jones & Laughlin Steel Company. When WAM added the Renaissance Court building in the early 1930’s, contractors used steel beams from both rival companies in it’s construction. For what it’s worth, the Carnegie beams seem to have endured the subsequent 80 years slightly better. -Travis Simpkins
The first photo, from 1940, shows the Renaissance Court addition of the Worcester Art Museum several years after it was completed. No major aesthetic changes have occurred to the facade in the 74 years between photographs. A trio of tall banners (obscured by the tree branches in the 2014 photo) display current exhibitions over the entrance. The old driveway was widened to form a parking lot, the landscaping has varied slightly over the years and the tree in front of the museum has grown in. In the 2000’s, blue neon stars illuminated the exterior walls at night, but they were taken down a couple years ago.
Then and Now: “Salisbury Street Facade (1933 Addition)- Worcester Art Museum, 1940 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins