The first photo, from 1933, shows the 12th Century French Chapter House shortly after it was deconstructed, transported and reassembled in the newly-built Renaissance Court Building of the Worcester Art Museum. Purchased in 1927, the room was the major catalyst for the construction of the major new addition. As this photo shows, some artwork was originally hung inside the Chapter House, including the 13th Century Italian crucifix that now hangs in Gallery 212. The Chapter House was the star attraction of the new Museum addition which, in 1933 alone, drew over 200,000 visitors eager to see the first transposed Medieval structure in America. Today, the 900-year-old architecture remains the same, but the furniture is much more contemporary… with a constellation of chairs designed by Yvonne Fehling and Jennie Peiz now occupying the space.
Then and Now: “12th Century Chapter House- Worcester Art Museum, 1933 and 2014”. by Travis Simpkins